Sunday, November 13, 2011

Real World Connection 5: Absurdism

I taught the mention of absurdism in Sophie's World was pretty cool. I enjoy absurdism, because it basically tells anyone on the search for meaning in life "suuuuuuuuuuuucks1." Also, I enjoy Monty Python. Monty Python is the bigger reason. I actually only listed the first reason because it gave me an excuse to go suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Kingdom of Loathing is a pretty funny game. Mostly because everything written in the game is a mockery, parody, or tribute to something. Laughing that the references is actually more fun than playing the game. If someone tried to make a game of the same style, without the references, it would be awful. It's a text-based adventure game, except with stick-figure doodles as headings to any text-blocks. I think KoL can be thought of as the interactive embodiment of TV Tropes.

I should probably mention that I'm using the heading of absurdism to ramble even further off topic than I normally do, going off the logic that for all you know I could be talking about adsurdist/surreal humor, and thus this post is arguably more on topic than anything within the bounds of surreal humor2.

What's truly absurd to me though (because I don't really care about the study of the conflict of searching for something that might not exist, but that gains existence from what you do when you give up the search) is my Pandora stations. On my Classic Punk/New Wave station, I got Ring of Fire (by Johnny Cash). Pandora's reason for this song was that it had folk roots and country influences (I've yet to get Ring of Fire on my Folk Rock station!). And just a few minutes ago, I was getting 90's surf rock, on my Folk Rock station. Insanity!


EDIT: I found an xkcd comic that I guess relates to the actual topic of philosophical absurdism.

http://xkcd.com/220/


---
1 [to be you]
2 This is what happens when I have 60 pages of notes to do in AP Psych...

No comments:

Post a Comment