Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Real World Connection 6: Freud

THIS IS LATE!

My bitching about Pandora acting up has been rewarded. I not only got a good song, on a station where it made sense, but the song will help me throw together this blog post. The song is Rebellion (Lies) by Arcade Fire, and it reminded me of Freud's stuff about dreams1.

The first thing that reminded me of Freud were the lyrics:
"people say that your dreams are the only things that save ya.     come on baby in our dreams, we can live our misbehaviour."
This is reminded me of Freud because he said our dreams are when our suppressed thoughts spill out, and that repressing these thoughts is a bad thing, because instead of dealing with our problems, we bury them and let them fester. So dreaming about suppressed ideas is the first step in dealing with them.


I was then reminded of how in Sophie's World, as an example of Victorian Era repressed sexuality, Alberto mentioned that parents would yell at kids who touched themselves. What reminded me was these lyircs:
"people try and hide the night underneath the covers.
people try and hide the light underneath the covers.
come on hide your lovers underneath the covers"
Although the example Alberto gave ended with the parents making the kid sleep with their hands outside the covers, I was still reminded of how people not only face their problems in their dreams, but can also feel guilty about what they dream, and that they'll try to hide the dreams away.

As mentioned in the previous post, I'm kinda burnt on the whole blog deal, so I'm gonna end this before it turns into one of my rambling rambly things.


---
1 I'll admit, the Freud chapter in Sophie's World primed me to pay attention to stuff about dreams. I'll even admit that some of the lyrics of the song remind me of an example in Sophie's World. I won't however admit that this is a Sophie's World blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment